Tuesday 5 June 2012

Blog 3: Moral Processing and Conscience



Conscience Just Ahead Green Road Sign with Dramatic Storm Clouds and Sky. Stock Photo - 7374818Conscience: A voice inside you, telling you what is right and wrong; a second mind, gut instinct. A conscience helps people make decisions.
Everyone has a conscience, some people use theirs and others don't. Without a conscience, people are blind to wants right and wrong and would end up in trouble.

Decision-making should be a process that we follow in order to check that our lives are consistent with our own moral code. Moral decision-making process can be applied to this scenario:
A friend of mine, who is also a popular and well known student, boasts to me that he/she has managed to steal a copy of the semesters science exam. He/she is prepared to sell it for $10. This test has a 50% weighting on the overall result. What do I do? Would I buy a copy for myself? Would I report the incident?

Decision Making Process:
1. Problem: Stolen exam paper, stolen by my friend. My friend is selling exam paper.

2. Who is Involved: Me, my friend, rest of yr9.

3. Rules: Do not steal - 10 commandments

4. Benefits: Positive - Better marks, no studying, parents impressed, help
                                friend.
                  Negative - If report you lose friend(s), trouble with teachers,
                                 Principal, parents, science teacher will have to rewrite
                                 science exam.

What would I do?
I would tell my friend that what he/she is doing is wrong and would try and talk he/she out of it. I would disagree with my friend but would not report my friend straight away. I would wait and see what happens. If my friend proceeds with selling the exam and not doesn't get caught then I would tell a teacher.

Would I buy a copy for myself?
I would not buy a copy of the exam because it is wrong and I would feel I was unfair, to myself, my class and teacher, and to my parents.

Would you report the incident?
I would tell my parents about the stolen exam and ask them for advise. Then maybe I would report the stolen exam to my science teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment